Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Perception

Cloud 9

We live from the head down and not the feet up
And I'm adorned with the crown that's making this up
And I'm fine under cloud 9

Yes I wear the lamb's wool, the feet of burned brass
And the wool defies gravity like the nature of a gas
And I'm fine under cloud 9

Twist my cloud and it rain
And when it rains it pours
And the energy will absorb
Power for the metaphysical one

Happy to be nappy, I'm black and I'm proud
That I have been chosen to wear the conscious cloud
And I'm fine under cloud 9

I be a chameleon and wear it bone straight
But it's so much stronger when it's in its natural state
And I'm fine under cloud 9

Twist my cloud and let it rain
And when it rains it pours
And the energy will absorb
Power for the metaphysical one

-Donnie-


About 5 months ago I drastically changed what I look like. I cut off all of my permed hair and went natural. Prior to the "big chop" I'd had hair styles ranging from weaves to pixie cuts, braids to bobs, and everything in between. I'd never had any problems with men (specifically black men because I don't date anything else). I guess I still don't have any problems (with men) but since the first day of my big change I've attracted a completely different type of person. I'm generally attracted to the conservative yet well rounded type. Kind of your middle of the road guy. The type that is comfortable in a conservative jazz club or at a hole in the wall bar. Most of my previous guys have been financially and (somewhat) mentally stable. Prior to the change I didn't realized how much my hair was affecting who I attracted.

Lately it seems that every weed smoking, starving artist, laying down tracks, my car is in the shop, vegetarian fool on earth wants to hook up. I have no issues with any of those lifestyles however they aren't my cup of tea. I don't smoke weed , I respect anyone who is perusing a dream but let's be realistic you need to have a job until your dream takes off! I love meat...Live cows make me hungry! And if you don't have a car how are you gonna take me out??? (Yes I have a car but I do have some expectation of a man) It pisses me off that people automatically assume that I am a poetry writing, incense burning, tie-dye wearing, coffee shop addict simply because of my hair style. Once again I have no beefs with those types of people either but it is so frustrating!!!!! Interestingly enough I also seem to be attracting a lot more non-black men lately. I have no idea what that's about.

I expected things to change a little when I changed my hair but damn!! I didn't realize that embracing who God made me by not chemically altering my hair would affect my social life so drastically! A decision to simplify my life has opened my eyes to a whole realm of issues that I never realized existed. All of that said, I love my hair and have no intentions of changing it.

Blehhhh!!!!!!!!!.........I'm tired of ranting but I'm far from done so I'll revisit this issue when I'm a little calmer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, I have one more thing to say since we're on the dating topic. I helped a friend sign up for one of those online dating services a few days ago. (I already tried that and it's really not for me...Anyway) While browsing through the available men we notice an irritating trend. Several of the men's profiles showed that they dated every race accept African American/Black. Even more irritating were the black men who dated every race accept their own. WTF is that about! How and why would you exclude members of your own race as potential mates. Self hatred is so ugly! One even had the audacity to say that the reason he is not interested in dating black women is because we are overly aggressive, gold diggers, conniving, and not feminine. He was at least 6 shades darker that I am so I know both of his parents are black (yes, I know that really doesn't mean anything but his profile confirmed my belief). I wonder what he thinks of his mother. Actually I don't give a damn. If I ever run into him I think I'll take my non-aggressive, not interested in your money b**ch, not into game playing, very feminine self and slap the shit out of him. Just kidding! (kind of)

Wow, *sigh* I feel so much better now.

8 comments:

Chops said...

LOL! You're too much! If you like we can tag team b**** slapping him! That's the problem with dating. How can you expect to meet someone cool if everyone perceives all black women in such a negative light? Lord knows that we're soooo far from that jerks description! Oh well. God will provide.

Lambchop~

Anonymous said...

Rain sent me - told me that I might be ablt to relate to this post. Now, I feel like I just read a chapter out of my own life...

Who knew hair made such a difference? Not I. I know now though, and I still am not quite sure how I feel about that. I'm chewin on it.

I dont even want to get started on the 'Check-Other Bruthas'. Them niggaz make me ill.

AMES said...

If my engagment doesn't work out I may look outside the race. There are some darker races I've always been interested in. Italian's, tall Asian's, etc.

But I won't be spreading negative info like the idiots on that site are.

Or maybe I could revisit my idea of making a man.

ManNMotion said...

Darn, I was so hoping you were a coffee shop addict.

As for the dating profiles, don't sweat it. Many members of the other team will offer you possibilities. And if that doesn't work, at least you know whome NOT to waste your time with. Also, I wouldn't necessarily assume that because a person is with someone of another background that they are self hating. I know I don't concern myself with a person's pigmentation (though I do with their religious orientation) but when people see you with someone that looks different they seem to automatically make the assumption that I'm only interested in dating in one "direction."

What makes it really wierd is that I've had many experiences going to environments/parties/etc where I'm the only one of my particular background and I get a lot of female attention. Even the other men in these situations have come up and said so. Sometimes with hate, but mostly just for advice:)

Bullet Proof Diva said...

I loved this post! What we really should do is send them an e-card, thanking them for eliminating themselves from the pool of men who are worth your time and energy. With a mentality like that, that sorry sucka wouldn't last 2 minutes in my world, and that is a great thing!

I feel better too! LOL

B.E.G said...

@chops- Tag team it is!....You go get the Vaseline (in case he decides to hit back) and I'll go get the handcuffs.

@iice- It's nice to hear that I'm not alone in my experiences.

@C2A- hmmmm, making a man, that just might work.

@MNM- Just for clarification, I see nothing wrong with men who date outside of their race as long as they date within their race as well. The person I was talking about dates everyone accept black women....Also, I guess I should come clean and admit that I do have a slight coffee addiction (however, I don't hang out in coffee shops).

@Wise Diva- That is a good way to look at it.

ManNMotion said...

Thank you. For keeping hope alive:)

AMES said...

Interesting about the hair, because 80% of the time I have straightened hair and the bohemian men still approach me.

I've even had women point out the type of guy they'd expect me to like and he is always bohemian.

One guy even took me to a tea shop for chai with pearls. It was awful. The date and the tea.

Maybe they pick me, because I never wear socks or earrings.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost