Saturday, August 13, 2005

Young And Stupid Aint Just A Phrase

I guess you've noticed that we've been on a bit of a blogger break lately. I personally haven’t wanted to look at a computer outside of work!!

The other day my cousin brought up an incident that occurred back when I was a young fool in the Army and I guess I'll share.


You know the drill - read the bold if you dont have time to read it all right now.



Army Dayz~
I went into the army right out of high School
. I guess it was mainly because almost all of my family had been in the military and I was next in line. It wasn’t anything that I particularly thought about, it was just something I knew I was going to do...sort of expected.

Anyways, it was rough being away from home so long, but I got used to it. My first few days in boot camp I met a 40 year old sergeant - let's call him Sgt. Pops. Prior to my going into the military my mom and ex-stepfather had went through and ugly break up (more on that lata), so when I met Sgt. Pops, for some reason (I'll blame it on my youthful ignorance) I was convinced they would be GREAT together! I had even shown him a picture of my mom and he commented that she was gorgeous!
Sgt. Pops was always looking out for me. Whenever I'd get into trouble he'd offer to bail me out. I didn’t get into trouble much, but if I ever did he was always there to offer to help me out (I never accepted though).

He was always doing stuff for me that I'd never gotten from a father figure before. He was just a really cool guy and I saw him like a father. On one particular occasion he told me that I could come down to the Sergeants office in order to get a quick TV fix (we weren’t allowed access to TV's). I was sooooo excited I almost soiled myself!! LOL!

So after lights out, at approximately 11pm, I snuck my silly ass down there thinking I would get to watch a few shows and have some cool conversation with my "Pops". I can honestly say, thinking back on it, that was one of the stupidest decisions I've made in my life (a fact that Beg reminds me of often).

So I skipped my happy little naive butt down there and met up with "Pops". He gave me a hug and told me to sit on the couch. I sat down and immediately turned towards the TV. I remember asking him why the TV was on mute, and he just looked at me and smiled. I really started to feel uncomfortable at that point, but I just shrugged it off thinking I was being paranoid.

Sgt. Pops sat down beside me and put his arm around my shoulder and hugged me deep. I swear, at that point I began to freak out inside. I couldn’t believe what was happening, but then I kept second thinking it and trying to rationalize out why he was being so touchy feely.
Then the sergeant started to lunge at me. I pulled back but he was much stronger than me, and I was quickly realizing that he was easily going to overtake me. Tears started to fall and I wanted to start to scream but I was petrified, and when he saw this he told me to “Relax. Just as he had started up again, God happened.

I tell you, God is sooooo good. As he was lunging at me about to do God knows what to me, there was a sound in the hall outside the door. Sgt. Pops got up, and went to the door to check it out. When he came back he told me to go up to my bunk and wait for him to come and get me, since he thought another sergeant had arrived early.

I ran back up to my bunk, covered my head under my blankets, and began to weep. I cried like a baby and I prayed like mad woman until I passed out from exhaustion.

I believe it was about an hour later that I heard someone moving around in the room. I peeked out from a crack in my blanket and saw Sgt. Pops waking up the private across from me (there were about 8 or 10 girls to a room – I was part of the last all girl Company). He thought it was me!!!

My fellow private (who I affectionately called Pooty-Booty, due to excessive flatulence) woke up and asked the sergeant what he wanted. He realized he had the wrong person and couldn’t risk her seeing him with me, so he told her to go back to sleep and he left the room.

Now a lot of you may say that I should've run to the top of the food chain and sung like a freaking canary on his sick ass, but consider this. I was a young, naive, emotionally jacked up kid. I was hella far from my family, I wanted to go home, and I didn’t believe that anyone would believe me if I told them what had went down. What's worst is that I really thought it was my fault. I thought that if I told anyone I would've gotten into trouble, and I would've ended up stuck there for much longer than I was already assigned to be, or maybe even go to jail (it was against the law for Sergeant to get with Privates).

The next day (and from that point forward) I avoided Sgt. Pops like the plague. He would try to corner me sometimes, but I always made sure I was with another private whenever he was around. At one point he asked me to be the mother of his kids (he had a 5 year old, 8 year old, and 15 year old!!) in front of another Private!!! I told him “HELL NO!” and he really didn’t bother me much after that.

Eventually Sgt Pops got his. Apparently he was screwing quite a few privates in my Company. Girls talk, so it finally got out and he had to go to court or something over it. I'm not sure what became of Sgt. Pops, but I'm sure he was removed from the base and reprimanded. There were just too many girls with too much dirt on him (I hear some of them thought they loved him and that he loved them...sad).

Always in love...unless you target and take advantage of extremely young naive girls, and in the process damage their self-worth and self-esteem.

Chops~

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing that very personal story, Chops. A lot of people need to hear the message that you are sending. Taking advantage of others is just not cool. Why create bad Karma unnecessarily...don't we have enough problems as it is?

AMES said...

My fiance, formerly an officer in the army, says it would have been all bad for you if you didn't have any proof. The sgt. would have gotten the attack on his record and you would have had to go through the military being pointed out as "that girl."

So feeling like you would have gotten in trouble was based on reality.

I'm glad that nut ended up getting caught up in the game he was playing. I hope he had to lose some of those military benefits.

Shawn said...

nasty nasty nasty! I can't believe that buzzard was using his position of authority to molest the female privates. I hope that dirty ol man got some psychiatric help for his condition.

Anonymous said...

AAWWWW Chops! You poor thing!!! I never knew this happened to you! Girl, do I have a couple stories for you! And I agree with Will 100%.... HE WAS A SICK BASTARD, IT WAS NOT YOUR FAULT! AND YOU WERE NOT FOOLISH IN ANY WAY!

ManNMotion said...

Hey Chops, thanks for sharing. You didn't do anything wrong and, considering your age and the situation I think you handled it pretty well. Yeah, you made an error in judgement, but haven't we all? You have to realize you were young and inexperienced going up against a seasoned predator and like you said, God had your back. You learned a lot through this experience that you can probably share with young women so to help them if they ever have to deal with it.

Having also been in the military, I have to agree with C2A's fiance. I think because of the amount of control they have as well as other things they accept too much of, sexual harrassment in the military is much worse than in the civilian sector.

B.E.G said...

I don't think it was a stupid decision or your fault. You were young,(very) naive, and had no idea what thoughts were going through his sick mind.

Bullet Proof Diva said...

I think we could all recount the unwise decisions we made at a younger age. Thankfully, no harm came to you, I wish that were the case for all of us.

Kudos for sharing your story.

princessdominique said...

Definitely a noteworthy story. Thank you so much for sharing. You never know who needs to hear something like that. And I'm pleased that God does hear prayers!

MEP said...

I'm just glad that he didn't get the chance to take advantage of you. I've heard similar stories before and I hate the fact that sexual assault seems to be standard practice in the military, whether it be physical or verbal abuse. Everyone seems to want to turn their head when that happens - kind of like another "don't ask, don't tell" mantra.

DramaFree said...

Thanks for sharing that story. You are definitely not alone, and by no means should you feel bad about what happened. It was not your fault.

Rainmayun said...

Maybe a better name for him would have been Sgt. Sleaze... deep story. So you were army, huh? That might explain some of the toughness...

TheSaga said...

that's so fucked up, meng. someone should kill that motherfucker.

yeah, u really would have been fucked over by the military had u spoken up without physical proof. the military is really fucked up like that. i used to see all kind of foul shit happen to women when i was in the marine corps. i can understand more than most of these folks on how powerless u felt. man, when u first go in the military, they treat u like shit so bad and so much, u feel completely powerless in every which way. they make u think that they can do just about anything to you and u wont have any say so. it's a bitch, i tells ya. the military (in particular, the marine corps), in my opinion from having been there, is for muhfuckas that wanna be killers. fuck looking at it like a way to make an honest living.

Jdid said...

you are very lucky girl. god really watched out for you

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost