Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Crossing Paths

I met James today. He was standing in front of Albertson's in San Leandro reading a book. He asked me if I needed my windows washed. He's the type of person I usually give whatever spare change I have, then continue on my way. Today was a little different. Without making eye contact I told him "I don't need my windows washed" as I handed him a dollar. He responded, "I don't want a handout. My food tastes better when I've earned it." I stopped walking, turned around, and faced him. I thought to myself, that's unusual. I'm use to being asked for money but I've never had anyone refuse to take it. I explained to him that I'd just gotten a new windshield (finally!!!) and that I couldn't get it wet for another day. Then I noticed that he was reading "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren. I just finished reading that book so I asked him what he thought of it. He said that he was tired and had been homeless for several years. He believed that the only way for him to turn his life around was by seeking Gods plan for his life. He said that he'd just finished reading the first two chapters and was amazed at how little he knew about God's forgiving,loving, non-condemning nature. He said he was happy to hear that God has a plan for everyone's life, his included and that he is determined to find out what that plan is. We talked for a few more minutes then I did my shopping. He was still standing in the same spot as I left the store so he pushed my shopping cart to the car and loaded my groceries for. (FYI... I don't normally do that kind of thing but I was parked directly in front of the store and there were several people around.) We talked a few more minutes then I headed home. On my way home I thought about how wonderful God is. No matter what, age, race, sexual preference, or walk of life you come from God loves all of us and wants to have a relationship with us. Under his own power James has been unable to fight his way out from under his problems but with God I fully believe his life is about to take a new path. I also realized how trivial my problems are when compared to his and how truly blessed I am. I don't know where my path in life will take me but as long as I stay grounded in God the possibilities are limitless. "For everything, absolutely everything, above and below, visible and invisible,....everything got stated in him and finds its purpose in him." Colossians 1:16 (MSG)

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost