Friday, November 19, 2004

Freedom!

Im free!!!!! I finally worked up the nerve to do what I've wanted to do for years. After several hairstyles ranging from a very long weave to a very short pixie cut I have given up the creamy crack! No more burning scalp and eyes! No more hiding from fog, rain, wind, and anything else that could potentially ruin my hairstyle! No more chemicals that I think were (in part) causing my migranes! No more avoiding combs, brushes, and anything else that could scratch my scalp prior to salon visits in order to avoid chemical burns. No more spending ridiculous amounts of money on hair products that never lived up to their promises. NO MORE, NO MORE, NO MORE!!! On November 17 2004 at 2:30 pm my addiction officially ended.

I have taken the first step on what I hope will be a long journey of self discovery. (That sounds so much more dramatic than I usually am) Anyway, here's the long and short (he-he) of it. I spent 4 hours taking down my last set of human hair braids. (some of which I left in the garbage at work :-) I then had a stylist cut off the last few inches of relaxed hair. He also dyed what was left (perhaps 3 1/2 inches) Copper and twisted it into tiny coils ( or baby locks). I thought I would be stressed out when the big day arrived but oddly enough all I felt was relief. When he turned the chair around to show me the finished product I couldn't stop smiling. I'm not saying that it won't be (and has been) a big adjustment but it's not as bad as I expected. All of the comments I've heard thus far have been positive. (Even from people who don't like it) Anyway, I've decided that I like it and that's all that matters. The stylist warned me that starting locks is a long process with several stages. He says that I will go through what he called an "Ugly Stage" but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I think this will be a huge commitment but, so far so good.

This is what I've learned (realized) so far. My value, beauty, and self worth are not tied to what my hair or any other external part of me looks like. My value comes from who I am as a child of GOD, how I treat others, and what I think of myself. (and FYI I like myself quite a bit :-) I guess grandma was right after all.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see it -- I know you'll TOTALLY carry it off, girl. You look fab, I'm sure.
:)
Rach.
http://yarnagogo.com

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Bluehost